The home of the Suzuki GTs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!!

+3
Piston Broke
Clivey Andrews
Kyle H.
7 posters

Go down

THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! Empty THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!!

Post  Kyle H. Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:17 pm

Hey guys now that Clives got this new site i can show this thing that has been buggin me for a long time. Theres a hole in my engine right next to where the tachometer cable enters the engine cover. I would like to know if anyone elses 550 has this hole and what I should do about it if its not supposed to be there. It does leak some fluid although Its not much it does drain down on the engine and the bike. Ive considered plugging it with a rubber stopper or something like that, but I wanted to see what other bikes are like before I make a move.

THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! IMGP0076

Sorry the next ones a little blurry.

THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! IMGP0079

So. . . what do we think?
Kyle H.
Kyle H.
Ram Air Champion
Ram Air Champion

Back to top Go down

THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! Empty Re: THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!!

Post  Clivey Andrews Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:33 am

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow matey and lat ya know....

Shocked
Clivey Andrews
Clivey Andrews
Admin

Back to top Go down

THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! Empty Yep

Post  Piston Broke Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:45 pm

Yep, no cause for concern, I too have a hole just like yours.
No idea wot its for though.
Piston Broke
Piston Broke

Back to top Go down

Post  Rit Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Taken from another forum:

THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! Drain
Rit
Rit
Two-Stroke Terror
Two-Stroke Terror

http://www.ritzbitz.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle H. Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Thanks. . . A LOT!!!! thats been worrying me for a while now. But does yours leak a lot? mine leaks out what looks like gear oil. does yours do this too?

P.S. how did you draw on the pic and add text like that. Thats a useful trick. pirat
Kyle H.
Kyle H.
Ram Air Champion
Ram Air Champion

Back to top Go down

Post  Rit Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:39 pm

I diddnt do the piccy Kyle I just pulled it off another forum. Mine doesnt have that hole as its a 380.

Just a guess. Might be worth just checking the tightness of the casing bolts incase the oil is leaking past the gasket or draining the oil and pulling the cover for a quick check that the gasket is good. I'm very new to Suzuki triples so maybe Clive or someone could give you a better suggestion.
Rit
Rit
Two-Stroke Terror
Two-Stroke Terror

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle H. Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Thanks Rit. You may be new to suzukis, but im pretty new to restoring bikes. (this being my first). I beleive that either the gasket is bad or the seal is just not tight enough. The bolts are on tight, so I think I'll have to take the casing off. Too bad I wont be able to get to it till April. My local classic bike show is next weekend and I just don't have the time to fix it. especially if I have to find or order a new gasket. jocolor

By the way, this is a general question. . . We have all thes new members, but they don't post anything. Whats the deal? C'mon folks At least put a pic of your bike up.
Kyle H.
Kyle H.
Ram Air Champion
Ram Air Champion

Back to top Go down

Post  Rit Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:35 pm

Go win your prize mate then sort it Smile

The 380 is only my second resto. First was the KH on my site (sorry for swearing) I just love 2-strokes. A RGV would be great sometime before I get too old. 60 hp for a 250 is nuts!

Perhaps Clive is on his holiday from the cash he saved with this cool FREE forum is maybe why we have not heard from him lol! I'm just happy to be here early to see it grow.
Rit
Rit
Two-Stroke Terror
Two-Stroke Terror

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle H. Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:09 am

Well whatever the case is, This forum is a lot easier to navigate than the other.

And don't worry about speaking about the other bikes. . . I myself own a GS650 BMW. Embarassed
Ha Ha. I guess we can't settle on just one bike. Even if it is bad ass. Clive has another bike too. lol!
Kyle H.
Kyle H.
Ram Air Champion
Ram Air Champion

Back to top Go down

Post  Rit Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:05 pm

Yeah I read he had a hmm hmm Honda Wink

Actually I will have a Honda one day to complete my jap set. I would be very happy for someone to donate a 250NSR hehe.
Rit
Rit
Two-Stroke Terror
Two-Stroke Terror

Back to top Go down

Post  Clivey Andrews Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:44 am

....actually I have more than the one....

I have the Honda 1983 CB1100F (Super Bol D'Or) going back on the road withing the month, 2 * X5's in pieces - not sure what to do with them yet, and an Yam XJ650 Turbo - not pretty, so I think I shall be scrapping that to fund my restos....

When it comes to sportsbikes, I'm a Kawasaki man - green blood and all that - I had a ZXR750H2 (hoover pipe jobbie) then a ZX7R - that was the one I crashed and broke my back on - so I'm a bit restricted now - it has to be COMFY, lol....

But, damn, I miss the 7R....

No

THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! Clivey10THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! Xj_tur10
THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! 25-09-10THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! Cb110011
Clivey Andrews
Clivey Andrews
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  buffalo Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:45 pm

Speaking of Kawi's, I found a guy in California that has 5 H1's for sale!

buffalo
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

Post  Macca Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:20 am

Go for the resto's Clivey, did that Ninja ever get fixed or is it still in the shed tormenting you. Picked up another 550 over the weekend, I think its a bit of every model, looks worse than the one I posted on you site late last year ------ hope the missus doesn't find out. But she's sneaky and will look in the shed soon to do a roll call.
Macca
Macca
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

THERES A HOLE IN MY ENGINE!!! Empty love the site!

Post  tim7273 Wed May 07, 2008 8:47 pm

It's wonderful to see so many more like me on here. Besides my J and K GT550's I own a '75 xl250 honda, a '77 175sl hodaka, a '76 ironhead sportster and a '04 road king. I think people like us, that love the GT550, are inclined to appreciate all sorts of two-wheeled transportation.
Keep up the good work, everyone. I can't wait to see what problem our collective knowledge solves next!
Tim
tim7273
tim7273
Two-Stroke Terror
Two-Stroke Terror

Back to top Go down

Post  Clivey Andrews Thu May 08, 2008 5:12 am

Macca wrote:Go for the resto's Clivey, did that Ninja ever get fixed or is it still in the shed tormenting you. Picked up another 550 over the weekend, I think its a bit of every model, looks worse than the one I posted on you site late last year ------ hope the missus doesn't find out. But she's sneaky and will look in the shed soon to do a roll call.

The 7R was crushed while I was still in Hospital - the frame was bent - I don't know if you can see - by the crash bung - but think of it this way - if I didn't have the bungs that would've been my knee that got mashed! Very lucky Laughing - same as the fact I had back protection....

If it wasn't for either I'd be RFU! affraid

I've got shot of the X5s and XJ now - just concentrating on the GT and the CB - spokes coming for the GT soon - that'll be fun to do, having never rebuilt a wheel before!
Clivey Andrews
Clivey Andrews
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tim7273 Thu May 08, 2008 6:16 am

Clivey, I recommend you take a picture of both sides of the wheel before you disassemble it. When relacing one, it seems every way you cross the spokes looks like it should be right. Without a picture to reference it's a real pain. Also, the easiest way I've found is to lace all the spokesinto the hub, cross them and arrange them all as they will fit into the rim. Then gently work the rim onto the spokes without disturbing the indexing. (I zip-tied each crossed pair together) It took me a full weekend to figure out one wheel, but once the light bulb goes off it's pretty simple. I did three whole wheels the following weekend.
Good luck, Brother.
tim7273
tim7273
Two-Stroke Terror
Two-Stroke Terror

Back to top Go down

Post  Clivey Andrews Thu May 08, 2008 9:38 am

Nice one, thanks for the advice - I'll do that.

Is it hard to true them up - do they need much...?
Clivey Andrews
Clivey Andrews
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tim7273 Thu May 08, 2008 3:28 pm

Clivey, It's not terribly hard to true them. First, make sure your offset is correct then get the rim concentric with the axle. Don't worry about wobbles until it is concentric! The last thing you do is correct any localized wobbling by tightening the spokes on the opposite side. I don't use a truing stand just the forks and a straight edge against the rim.
Good luck. If you run into any issues, drop me a line.
Tim
tim7273
tim7273
Two-Stroke Terror
Two-Stroke Terror

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down