The home of the Suzuki GTs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draining the carb.s

3 posters

Go down

Draining the carb.s Empty Draining the carb.s

Post  Escape to Wisconsin Fri May 16, 2008 8:45 am

I'm trying to drain the carbs. I took the throttle cables off. Where else is the bank of carbs attached to the engine. Are they only attached by the rubber hoses at this point? whenever I try to move the set it doesn't even budge. I'm ordering a service manual today, but for the time being I'll have to figure everything out myself.

There is a screw in the bottom of each carb that looks like a drain, but this gas is so old that I want to take the bowl off and have a look around.
Escape to Wisconsin
Escape to Wisconsin
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

Draining the carb.s Empty Carb Removal

Post  liddd Fri May 16, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi mate,its possible your air box seems to be holding carbs firm if you are only removing the carbs slacken all hose clips engine side and air box side slacken your two bolts that attach air box to frame, under the seat.The air box swings free and gives you clearance to remove the carbs.Brass srews at btm of carb drains them.
liddd
liddd
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

Draining the carb.s Empty Re: Draining the carb.s

Post  Escape to Wisconsin Fri May 16, 2008 2:44 pm

The airbox has already been removed. From what you say, it must only be the hoses holding it on. That makes sense. I was falling asleep in the garage last night. I'll put some more energy into it tonight. Those hoses are very tight and stiff between the carb and the engine. But, it probably has been 30+ years since the carbs were installed or whoever put the new hoses on did a good job putting them on. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the reply. I'll figure her out.
Escape to Wisconsin
Escape to Wisconsin
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

Post  tim7273 Sat May 17, 2008 12:08 am

Escape, Those hoses do get pretty dried out over the years. I've found that if you soak them in hot water it softens them enough to install them easily. To remove them if they're tight try a hair dryer or a heat gun, but be careful not to get too close and burn them. Heating them up just enough to be warmer than the metal they're attatched to will make them surprisingly easy to manipulate. Remember, don't get crazy with the heat... they are pretty expensive to replace. Absolutely no propane torch or the like, just a warm blast from the hair dryer should work.
Good luck,
Tim
tim7273
tim7273
Two-Stroke Terror
Two-Stroke Terror

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape to Wisconsin Mon May 19, 2008 6:39 am

Thanks for the advice. I got them off this weekend without any such heating, but with a little bit of wrestling. Next time I will use your advice to get the carbs back on.

The good sign was that I had only a little bit of gunk build up in them.
Escape to Wisconsin
Escape to Wisconsin
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down