The home of the Suzuki GTs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's a good one

3 posters

Go down

Here's a good one Empty Here's a good one

Post  Escape to Wisconsin Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:28 am

I've had a great week so far with motorcycles. I went down to Blackhawk this past Saturday and crashed my Yamaha FZ6 in turn 1 of session 2. So then I think, well atleast I'll get the GT started double time now. So I get the timing to the point where it should fire up, kick over the bike a few times then here a pop and now the bike is frozen. Any ideas?

I'm hoping its a piston ring that is broken or caught in a port. Is this a common problem? The spark plugs are oily looking, so I think I have lubrication.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Escape to Wisconsin
Escape to Wisconsin
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

Here's a good one Empty Re: Here's a good one

Post  Kyle H. Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:26 am

Did you rebore the cylinders. If you did then you need to file down the corners at the exhaust/ intake holes. A ring might get caught up if that is the case, But the only thing you did was change the timing?

My manual says the ignition timing (distance BTDC) is 0.132in. or 3.37mm. It doesn't really interpret what that means but hopefully it helps.
Kyle H.
Kyle H.
Ram Air Champion
Ram Air Champion

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape to Wisconsin Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 am

It never fired, I was kicking it over to start it up.

The timing was probably close enough to get it started. I did 3mm BTDC and set my dwell.
Escape to Wisconsin
Escape to Wisconsin
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle H. Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:03 pm

Did you do the left cylinder first? If you dont do it first it effects the other cylinders as well.
Kyle H.
Kyle H.
Ram Air Champion
Ram Air Champion

Back to top Go down

Post  Macca Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:31 pm

G'Day, are you sure it is a siezed in the top end, I had a similar problem a while back and after stripping the top end and discovering it was OK, found that the kickstart engagement gear on the behind of the clutch basket had broken, giving the impression that the bike was siezed when you kicked it. In turn, this had also damaged the nasty little plactic gear that drives off the end of the crank to drive the points shaft - Check before you start pulling the engine down. As for the timing, you need to time the LH pot first using a dial gauge throught the spark plug hole to ensure that you are truly at 3mm BTDC, and this should be satisfactory to then do the final timing at the points adjustment.

I sympathise with you racing adventures, in November last year I dropped my Triumph TT600 at a race meet. My Ego was shattered as I dumped the bike in the pits while riding out to the start line for heat 2 and smashed it into the side of an officials car.

Cheers Macca
Macca
Macca
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down