The home of the Suzuki GTs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

comp test and tuning

3 posters

Go down

comp test and tuning Empty comp test and tuning

Post  limp1969 Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:15 pm

Just got a gt 550 1972 pulled plugges to see just what I bought did a compression test each cylinder read 135 psi? From what little I found on the net about these bikes that is pretty good?
Next ? the plungers??? the little things in each carb that the throttle cable attached, I am guessing that it is for oil inlet. The bike I have had 3 types of plugs in it. the right side cylinder looked oily the rest normal. Is there a starting place with these inlets or is it simply reading plugs until you get it correct? The bike runs fine and is totally stock, but smoked alot the crank seal seems ok there was no smell of trans oil burning under hard throttle. Can anyone help?
Jeff

limp1969

Back to top Go down

comp test and tuning Empty Re: comp test and tuning

Post  Leif Skaaning Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:34 am

Hi Limp

There is no two-stroke oil passing thrue the carbs. The oil is feedet direcly from the oilpump to the cylinders.

The tiny things ??? Maybe you mean the choke plunger??. ( placed next to the throttle valve and both operated by cables )

Hope this helps Smile

Leif

Leif Skaaning
Kettle lover
Kettle lover

Back to top Go down

Post  limp1969 Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:05 pm

yes sir I looked closer looks like the oil goes to the secondary charge at the cylinder. Is there any way to control the oil flow? I guess I should change the crank seal. Although I dont smell any trans oil burning. But the bike seems to smoke alittle more than it should. It has been sitting a long time and looks as if it was just fired up and left to idle not riden. 135 psi per cylinder all right on the money. This seems low , but most of my know how comes for 2 stroke motocross bikes that are up around 150psi or higher. After doing a search on the web for info I see that 135 psi is pretty good. The bike sat for years carbs have been rebuilt , but not that well. The pilot jets looked alittle clogged and you can see where someone cleaned the gas gunk off with a small screw driver. poorly. I have lots of rebuilds under my belt we all know that this is the biggest problem with most bikes that have sat. the rest of the bike is original paint looks good drove fine before removing carbs. Where can i get a air filter element in the usa? And does anyone have a suggestion of where to get some cool race pipes and what kind of hp increase I would get from this?
Thanks dudes

limp1969

Back to top Go down

Post  jkratmann Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi Jeff
You can adjust the oilflow through the oilpump. However first you should align the slides on your carbs. Each carb has a screw on the side which you can remove and look onto the throtle slide. Each slide has a punchmark and these should be aligned through the adjustment for the throthle cable in the top of each carb. When you align the carbs you should leave a little "free play" in the throtle cable. When the carbs are aligned you are ready to adjust the oilpump. Remove the oil pump cover on the right side of the engine. You adjust the oilflow though the cable to the oilpump. The arm on the oilpump to which the cable is attached has a mark and the same has the oilpump. Adjust the cable so that the marks are aligned when the punchmarks on the carb slides are fully shown at the top of the holes. This should be the correct setting for the oilpump.
I don't know about other exhaust's, I ride mine as original as possible Smile
Best regards
Jesper

P.s. My bike always smokes for the first 5 minutes, but I have found the oil to have great impact on the smoke.
jkratmann
jkratmann

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum