The home of the Suzuki GTs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HT LEADS FITTED TO COILS

2 posters

Go down

HT LEADS FITTED TO COILS Empty HT LEADS FITTED TO COILS

Post  liddd Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi guys, thinking of changing HT leads to silicone leads,does anyone know if leads screw into coils or pushed on and sealed with what looks like some kind of resin ?
cheers dave
liddd
liddd
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

HT LEADS FITTED TO COILS Empty Re: HT LEADS FITTED TO COILS

Post  H2RICK Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:34 am

IIRC, it's a little more complex than that. The lead is actually encased in the resin that encapsulates the coil itself. That small bump on the top toward the back of the coil opposite where the wire enters the coil body is where the copper wire core of the HT lead is soldered onto a small eye-type terminal connected to the secondary winding.
Some have successfully used a Dremel to grind off the epoxy at that rear bump to get at the soldered connection. Then it's a matter of unsoldering the actual copper wire core, pulling the old wire and insulation out of the epoxy and then insering a new wire and resoldering the copper core to the eyelet. THEN you have to epoxy the connection over nicely to keep out the water. The "front" end also has to be epoxied for the same reason. It's a laborious job....plus you're basically stuck with the original sized HT lead wire which, IIRC, is 7mm in diameter.....so a lot of modern 8mm HT leads won't fit.
Your other choice is to cut off the HT lead about 2 or 3 inches out from the coil and then use an NGK cable splicer in which you can insert you fancy HT lead to the spark plug itself. Messy, but doable.
H2RICK
H2RICK

Back to top Go down

HT LEADS FITTED TO COILS Empty HT LEADS FITTED TO COILS

Post  liddd Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks for the info Rick,sounds like its a bit of job.Prob try the splice idea as coils are in good condition,the silicon leads ive got to put on are 7mm,off V8 range rover Smile I believe that they send all power instantly and without resistance that get with copper leads.Will let you know how it turns out.
Regards Dave
liddd
liddd
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

Post  H2RICK Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Dave:
I hope those leads aren't those lame carbon core RFI suppression types. If so, I'd steer clear of them. The carbon core is VERY easily cracked/broken and then you get all kinds of weird symptoms from your ignition. Don't forget that the stock Suzi iggys and even aftermarket electronic iggys don't put out anywhere near the voltage that automotive electronic iggys put out....and those carbon core wires are designed for the higher voltage outputs.
If I was you, I'd stick with copper core wires that can take rough handling and not crack/break into a million pieces inside the insulation where you can't see what's going on. Copper core resistance should not be high at all. If you are getting a resistance problem it's probably in your plug cap instead. Plug caps removed from the HT lead should read 5000 ohms +/- 10% from terminal to terminal. Check 'em out before you go blaming your wires.
My .02 worth.....
H2RICK
H2RICK

Back to top Go down

Post  liddd Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi Rick,the leads ive got are iso3808 noise suppression 7mm and yep they are very flimsy.Two of the three caps are very loose,probably been on and off over the years like a pair of strippers draws!!!Going to replace plug caps first seems logical matey from what uve said,thanks for info mate.
Cheers Dave.
liddd
liddd
Crankcase Injector
Crankcase Injector

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum